GDPR and what you need to know.
On May 25th 2018, the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) will come into force. This replaces the Data Protection Act.
As part of your SLA, we will endeavour to assist schools in meeting their GDPR compliance. The notes below explain the legislation and how we work to ensure your compliance.
From the GDPR documentation:
Art. 32 GDPR Security of processing
Taking into account the state of the art, the costs of implementation and the nature, scope, context and purposes of processing as well as the risk of varying likelihood and severity for the rights and freedoms of natural persons, the controller and the processor shall implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk, including inter alia as appropriate:
- the pseudonymisation and encryption of personal data;
- the ability to ensure the ongoing confidentiality, integrity, availability and resilience of processing systems and services;
- the ability to restore the availability and access to personal data in a timely manner in the event of a physical or technical incident;
- a process for regularly testing, assessing and evaluating the effectiveness of technical and organisational measures for ensuring the security of the processing.
- In assessing the appropriate level of security account shall be taken in particular of the risks that are presented by processing, in particular from accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure of, or access to personal data transmitted, stored or otherwise processed.
This requirement covers all of the network, servers and firewall in school as well as the security and reliability of data that you hold.
For more information, please refer to your school's Service Level Agreement about how Education Lincs will work with you to ensure we are all meeting GDPR's framework.